Competitive Exams: Michael Joseph Jackson
Michael Joseph Jackson (born August 29, 1958 in Gary, Indiana) is an American musician, singer, dancer, songwriter, record producer, and philanthropist. He began his career as the lead singer of the Motown act, The Jackson 5, in the 1960s, and made his first solo recordings in 1971 as part of the Jackson 5 franchise. Jackson began a full-fledged solo career in 1979 and formally parted with his siblings in 1987, and has since become the most successful recording artist in Black music history, and one of the most successful solo artists in music history, with sales of over 330 million albums and singles.
List of Michael Jackson Awards
His 1982 album Thriller currently holds the title of being the best selling album in history, having sold over 60 million copies worldwide. In addition to his albums, Jackson has also recorded thirteen number-one Billboard Hot 100 solo hits, including “Don't Stop Till You Get Enough” “Rock With You” “Billie Jean” and “Beat It” and an additional four with the Jackson 5. His distinctive dance moves, music videos, and pop appeal have inspired and influenced many of today's singers, such as Usher, Beyonce Knowles, Omarion and Justin Timberlake among others. Despite his career success, he has been dogged by media attention over allegations of child sexual abuse, which resulted in a trial and acquittal in 2005.
Michael Jackson has set many records throughout his career and won many awards. He has been in a league of his own with his best competition being himself and trying to improve on what he has already achieved.
- Biggest Selling Album Of All Time-Guiness Book Of World Records
- Michael Jackson's “Thriller” Album is the biggest selling album of all time, with over 50 million copies sold worldwide. Thriller is also the biggest selling U. S album with sales of 25 million copies.
- Most No1 Hits in 1980's
- At the End of the 1980's MIchael Jackson had more #1 hits than any other artist for the decade.
- Greatest Audience-Guiness Book Of World Records
- The highest-ever viewership was 133.4 million viewers watching the NBC transmission of Super Bowl XXVII on June 31, 1993. Michael was spotlighted during the half-time peformance.
- Bad Tour-Guiness Book Of World Records
- Michael Jackson's world tour brought in a record gross revenue of over $124 million during September 1987-December 1988.
- 100 Million Records
- Michael has sold over 100 million singles and albums outside of the U. S.
- Billboard Charts
- Michael Jackson is the first person in the 37 year history of the Billboard chart to enter straight in at No1, with his single “You Are Not Alone” The previous record was “Earth Song” which had debuted at No5.
- Biggest Selling Video: Michael Jackson's “The Making Of Thriller” is the biggest selling video released by an artist.
- Awards: Michael has won more awards than any other artist.
- No1 On Charts: In 1983 Michael became the first artist to simultaneously hold the number one spots on Billboard's rock albums and rock singles charts, as well as the R&B albums and singles charts.
- Consecutive No1 Singles: Jackson 5 was the first group to ever have four consecutive No1 singles.
List of Michael Jackson Awards
Major Awards Wins
- American Music Awards 22
- Billboard Awards 40
- BRIT Awards 7
- Golden Globe Awards 1
- Grammy Awards 19
- Guinness World Records 13
- MTV Awards 13
- NAACP Image Awards 14
- RIAA Awards 56
- Word Music Awards 12