Competitive Exams: Current Affairs 2011: Multilateral Groups
- BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) The BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) grouping will become BRICS with the inclusion of South Africa, according to sources in the government.
- ISAF: International Security Assistance Force; The International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) is a NATO led security mission in Afghanistan established by the United
- Nations Security Council on 20 December 2001 by Resolution. 1386 as envisaged by the Bonn Agreement.
- OSCE-The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe; world's largest security-oriented intergovernmental organization. Its 56 participating states are in Europe, the Caucasus, Central
- Asia and North America and cover most of the northern hemisphere.
- CSTO: Collective Security Treaty Organisation; is an intergovernmental military alliance which was signed on 15 May 1992. On 7 October 2002, the Presidents of Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia and Tajikistan signed a charter in Tashkent founding the CSTO. Uzbekistan joined in 2006.
- AMISOM: African Union Mission for Somalia
- IGAD: Intergovernmental Authority on Development; is a seven-country regional development organization in East Africa. Its headquarters are located in Djibouti City.
- Djibouti (founding member, 1986)
- Ethiopia (founding member, 1986)
- Kenya (founding member, 1986)
- Somalia (founding member, 1986)
- Sudan (founding member, 1986)
- Uganda (founding member, 1986)
- Eritrea (joined soon after independence in 1993, unilaterally declared its suspension in 2007; an exit would be effective one year after being formally declared against IGAD)
Courtesy: The Hindu and Times of India