What is GATE?
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all-India examination administered and organised in eight zones across the country by the GATE Committee consisting of faculty from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and seven Indian Institutes of Technology on behalf of the National Coordinating Board-GATE, Department of Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), Government of India.
Candidates in the second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master's degree programme (Post-BSc) in Engineering/Technology or in the third or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master's degree programme and Dual Degree programme in Engineering/Technology.
Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations organised by professional societies accredited by UPSC/AICTE (e. g. AMIE) as equivalent to B. E./B. Tech. Those students who complete Section A or some similar kind of professional courses are also eligible.
Students are not familiar with the fact that there are several institutions in this country, proving specialized postgraduate programmes in various different disciplines. Attractive scholarship or Assistantship for postgraduate courses in engineering/Technology/Architecture/Pharmacy at Engineering colleges as well as institutes are available for those candidates, who qualify through GATE.
To find out outstanding and encouraged candidates for admission to Post Graduate Programmes in Engineering, Technology, Architecture and Pharmacy at the National level. To use as benchmark for normalisation of the Undergraduate Engineering Education in the country.
Why GATE is Crucial
- M-Tech degree focuses on specialization and furthering of interest in a relevant area which may leads to PHD.
- M-Tech is the best degree, For those students who wants to apply for Faculty or Research positions in educational Institutes/R&D centers.
- Availability of GATE forms: October, 1st week
- Last Date for filling up forms: November, 1st week
- Exam Date: 2nd Sunday of February
- Results: March 15st
- The examination will consist of one single paper with 3 hours time duration and basically comprises 2 sections namely-Section A which will be Objective Type and of 75 marks and Section B which will be Problem Type and of 75 marks. Total: 150 marks.
- You can opt for your subject and study as per the syllabus specified in the GATE brochure.
- The subjects of our interest are Computer Science and Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering. Electrical Engineering and Instrumentation Engineering. Other subjects are also available like Mathematics, Physics etc.
- Results of qualified candidates in GATE will give All India Rank and indicate percentile score i.e.. a percentile score of 99 means you are in the top 1% category of the candidates who have given GATE.
- The candidates who secured less than 70 percentile will not get score card.
- GATE scores are valid for 2 years. You can also give the GATE exam again if you did not score well in the earlier attempt and the new score if incase better than the old one, Then will to be used for the purpose of admission.
What to Do After Examination
- After the GATE results got published, The students must apply into individual Institutes to avail the application forms.
- The institutes also advertise M. Tech admissions in the famous newspapers from 1st April till end July. Many Institutes do not advertise so the students have to avail the forms by themselves.
- In the application form, you need to specify your GATE scores with the other crucial details.
- The Institute will organise a written test and/or interview for the process of admission.
- General thumb rules: If your GATE score in Computer Science is 96 percentile or more then you can go for IITs, if between 85 − 96 percentile, then apply for top RECs, JADAVPUR, SHIBPUR, ROORKEE etc. If less than 85, you can go for any other institutes.
Meanwhile the pursuit of M. Tech, you will get a scholarship of Rs. 5000.00 per month by the Government of India. This amount is enough for living expenses covering the expenditure of books etc. The scholarship will be paid for the 18 months M. Tech period.
- Motivate and induce 3rd year students to give GATE along with Final Year students as:
- GATE score is valid for 1 years.
- The syllabus as required by GATE is basically over by 5th semester.
- Students can give a second attempt, if negative result arrives.