techniques For Personality Test
- The interview is nowadays known as a Personality Test.
- The reason being that it is not a test of knowledge, but of the overall personality of the candidate.
- Interview is more of a psychological test that is just content-oriented. Along with outstanding soft skills and self-confidence, outstanding knowledge base no doubt gives you an upper hand.
- Also, it has to be borne in mind that nearly all the candidates in the Personality Test start more or less as equals in the horizon of knowledge base.
- The most crucial thing to keep in mind about an interview is that it is not always a question-answer session and that the Board members are looking for different sides of one's personality.
- One is not expected to know everything under the sun. If you do not know the answer to a specific question, do not panic to say I don't know, Sir/Ma ‘m. Also, even I don't know Sir/Ma’ m must be said confidently and with a desirable cheerfulness.
- Remember your knowledge barometers have been in detail checked meanwhile the earlier stages of the CSE i.e.. Prelims and Mains.
- Always keep in mind that the interview is not a cross examination, but an obvious and purposeful conversation.
- Personality is a life time asset and is dynamic in nature, which emerges and changes each day.
- Keep a photocopy of the form filled for the Mains examination. Most of the initial questions i.e.. The meaning of your name, educational background, professional experience, hobbies etc will be oriented on this form only. Try to prepare on your bio-data; around 70% questions are oriented on bio-data, 20% questions are oriented on your subject and 10% are oriented on current affairs.
- Aspirants to CSE must take an intelligent interest not only in fields of their particularization, but also in what is happening around them both within and outside the country.
- Be well equipped and aware about your interests and hobbies as there will be a few questions probing your barometers of knowledge as regards your hobbies and interests.
- Prepare in detail about your hometown & home state. If you hail from a place of historical importance or tourist interest, prepare well on it.
- Know yourself. Prepare brief answers to choice of your subjects, family background, meaning of your name. You must try to take the lead by answering questions oriented on your bio-data.
- One of the secrets of success is to prepare for the Personality Test along with the written test.
- A person who appears as a bookworm, then the chances of his or her selection are decreased. The candidate must possess an all-round personality, which indicates that the aspirant possesses a complete personality.
- One must form a group of 4 − 5 people, as the preparation for Personality Test cannot be done alone. Try to organise as many mock interviews as you can.
- No training institute can develop/transform your personality in a few days. Also, some of the techniques may help in ironing out some weaknesses or grey fields and can provide an avenue for a well-planned preparation and group integrateions.
- Take mock interviews. Meanwhile the mock interview, ask your friends to grill you so that you can face pressure from the Board easily.
- Integrate a lot with your friends and relatives. This not only helps in you collecting different view-points, but also enhances the level of knowledge.
- Dressing sense is of crucial importance and it must must be subtle. The choice of dress must be as per the climatic conditions. Try not to wear newly stitched clothes, as they might make you uneasy. Light colours must be preferred. White colour is an outstanding choice.
- Wear comfortable clothes. Men need to wear light coloured shirt and a dark trouser with a tie if weather permits. Women appear best in a saree or salwar/kameez.
- Pay attention to the detailing part like ironed dress, polished shoes, hair accessories, trimmed nails etc. Polish your footwear regularly. Use convenient footwear like black or brown leather shoes.
- Women candidates must take care to avoid the hair falling over the face as it could irritate both you and the interviewer.
- Do not wear anything that relates you with any religious or political group.
- Do not use extremely strong perfume or deodorants.
- In case you are suffering from cold, carry a handkerchief or sufficient stock of tissue paper. Tissue paper is handy and good.
- Some candidates take medicine to relax on the previous night of the interview; this must be avoided as the effect of medicine may decrease your alertness meanwhile the interview.
- What and how you eat is also crucial. Take a light meal on the day of the Personality Test. Do not go for the interview with empty stomach. Also, avoid over-eating or having heavy meals too before the interview.
- Always keep in mind that “First impression is the last impression” So make a positive, outstanding impression within the few minutes of the interview.
- Arrive 20 − 30 minutes early. Prepare a route map and arrive well in time. This will give you enough time to relax
- While waiting for your turn in the waiting area, read a newspaper or a magazine and try to remain focused without thinking too much of what will happen in the interview. Try not to presuppose situations.
- Do not get nervous when you are waiting for your turn for the Personality Test. When waiting for your turn, try to be calm and patient with closed eyes and practice deep breathing. It really relaxes you. Do not try to pre-suppose situations in the Personality Test.
- Take a final, deep breath before entering the boardroom.
- Do not forget to knock at the door before entering, as it reflects your basic courtesy.
- On entering the room, greet all the members cordially and do not sit down on the seat without being asked to:
- If there is a lady member in the interview board, greet her first.
- Be aware of your body language when you are seated.
- Men must keep the feet flat on the floor meanwhile the interview, knees at waist level, and hands on your thighs and place your elbows on the armchair. Do Do not lock your hands.
- Women, cross your ankles or legs, but keep the bottom leg straight down and do not swing it over the top leg and keep your elbows positioned on the arms of the chair.
- When the Board members thank you at the end of the Personality test, do not forget to thank the members one last time and keep your body posture straight at the time of leaving the room.
- Remember that interview is a two-way communication.
- Be cool. Be yourself meanwhile the Interview. Your aim must be to make the board members feel comfortable in your presence. Be truthful, transparent and Predictable.
- The object of the interview is to assess the suitability of the candidate for a career in public service.
- Most of the questions posed in the-Personality Test are opinion-oriented.
- Don't expect any expression on the faces of board members, even if your answer is very outstanding. They will have a neutral facial expression.
At Time of Interview
When we talk about personality test, It is vital how you say what you say. It is style of the presentation that matters in an interview.
Your personality will be judged in around 25 − 30 minutes, it depends on your skills how you bring out your very best in front of the board members.
Be attentive and listen to each question carefully. Try not to jump into an answer before the complete question has been posed as you will end up wasting time on answering a question that you were not actually asked. If you are not sure of what was asked, you can always politely moves towards clarification.
Do not try to answer the question very quickly and haphazardly. Think upon the question twice or thrice, take your time and organise the wide outline of the answer before airing it. Take a pause before answering, even when you know the answer.
Sometimes you will be in such situations wherein you will be required to take a decision. In various situations, the board will test your ability to evolve issues and use reasons plus logics and outstanding judgment logically, precisely and arrive at a desirable decision.
Your replies must be precise and upto the mark.
Have a gentle and tender smile on your face and meanwhile the Personality Test without overdoing. It shows a sense of ease as well as confidence. Wherever possible use your sense of humour, if required.
Do's and Don'ts
- Basically the board members are very senior and talented people, so give respect to the board.
- Don't go by any stories or rumours leaked by others. Avoid unnecessary explainations.
- Don't ask the previous candidate about his or her interview.
- The board is not biased towards anyone.
- Never make any sweeping statements or detailed descriptions.
- Accept your mistakes, if incase committed.
- Speak honestly, truthfully and reasonably. Do not lie.
- Do not give a hasty reply.
- Giva answers in sequential and logical manner, maintain a continuous eye contact with the Board members. It will indicate your confidence level.
- Be gentle and courteous.
- Don't be too argumentative with the board.
- Be firm and determined in your views. Don't alter your views just because the Board differs in its opinion from your opinion.
- Never make an attempt to show a made-up appearance or politically correct answers.
- If you are taking an extreme view, you must also be able to justify the same.
- Take tea or coffee, if any member offers the same to you. This will show you are relaxed and it will also help in lightening and relaxing further proceedings and give them an informal touch.
- Avoid chewing gums and other munching items as it gives a negative and a careless image.
- Try holding mock interviews in front of a mirror. Look out for unwarranted emotions and try to rectify any shortcomings. If possible record your own answers and play them again for finding out mistakes.
- Don't pass your comment for any government policies or even individuals.
- Take a outstanding night's sleep. A outstanding, sound sleep will keep you refreshed, calm and relaxed. Otherwise you will have a fuzzy head and you will betray a confused personality. You will neither be able to get questions logically, nor be able to think clearly.
- Do not speak rapidly. Speak slowly as well as clearly so that the Board members grasp what you are saying and do not have to interrupt you or ask you to repeat your views.
- The Board will look upon your certain characteristics such as honest and integrity, logical exposition, balance of opinion, leadership skills, mental alertness, variety and depth of interest, social cohesion, moral integrity, acumen, your response to a peculiar situation, your views on few topics.
- At times, the Board members might pile pressure upon you. Do not panic it is a strategy aimed at gauging the point till which you can maintain your cool under pressure and can think originally even in pressure cooker situations. Try to resemble your true colours when in hot waters.
- Cultivate your views on a subjects in a logical and rational manner equipped by data whenever necessary.
- To be in touch with the latest happenings nationally and internationally, candidates must have to read magazines and newspapers atleast two, for an interview, watch news channel and current affairs-oriented television programmes.
- Assume that all questions are asked with an outstanding reason and then answer them.
- Keep a file or folder to keep your certificates and documents in a well organized manner. They are verified before you enter the interview room. You don't need to carry file or folder inside the board room.