Exam Strategy for Botany
The following paper in Botany is a high scoring exam, provided your answers are simple, diagrammatic and throws light on the evolutionary perspects of questions. Do not forget to mention Indian species as well. Stay simple and give diagrams with Indian-centric views. This will help you to score good marks. You should summarize tables for last minute revision.
Microbiology in Section I is crucial for the 200-word short notes and you should practice as suggested. Applied aspects of queries are more crucial. In Plant Pathology you can safely leave description of diseases but must focus on the physiological side.
- In Cryptogams, the syllabus tells you to study plant group for the structure and reproduction with the evolutionary viewpoint. The questions appearing in the examination does not mention the word evolution explicitly but examiners want evolutionary treatment of the questions asked.
- Phanerogams is categorised into different sub-groups. The key areas are quoted below:
- Gymnosperms: Focus on fossil types.
- Angiosperms: Left the families which were asked last year. Practice thoroughly the floral diagrams and formulae.
- Anatomy: Not a consistent area. It can be left, if other portions are well prepared.
- Embryology: Be determined on the earlier mentioned topics. Make clear diagrams. The preparation of this particular portion can be joined with Morphogenesis.
The strategy for this paper should moves around giving new updated details, coloured illustrations and focus on applications.
In Cell Biology; focus must be on the molecular part. Any long process must be discussed only with diagrams showing and mentioning all the steps clearly. Genetics, Molecular Biology and Evolution is a high scoring area in Paper II. The focus thus should be on preparing notes and writing crisp answers. Students must always highlight applications in agriculture and human welfare.
- During the past 3 years, questions pertaining to the Plant Breeding, Biotechnology and Biostatistics have been asked in mendatory section of the paper. The preparation strategy consists of preparing short notes and give stepwise crosses. Students should also focus on “Role of Breeding in Crop Improvement in India”
- In Physiology and Biochemistry; biochemical physiology is most crucial. In this year's examination, photosynthesis and nitrogen metabolism are more crucial even more than respiration. Students need to put focus on hormones as well as developmental physiology in fields like flowering, seed germination and fruit ripening.
- In Ecology and Plant Geography; Students can just prepare short notes on the topics. They can left the following section if they have prepared for the other parts well.