9 Indian Island for Tourism Growth-Important [ Detailed Analysis (CA/GS) ]
9 Island from Andaman & Nicobar (4) and Lakshadweep (5) are selected to boost the tourism under the Niti Aayog master plan.These include azure seas, white coral beaches of Lakshadweep, and the tropical lushness of Andaman & Nicobar. This decision was inspired by how Singapore drives its tourism drives and sustainable economic development.
Following Islands were selected by PMO. The islands were selected for infrastructure, tourism, agriculture (organic and fisheries), and renewable energy development:
Andaman & Nicobar
- Smith Island
- Ross Island
- Avis Island
- Long Island
- Water parks and natural resources will be used to promote tourism
- Limited land areas would be carefully utilized and maintained.
- Natural properties of Islands will be maintained with limited interventions directed towards improving current options for tourists.
- Compared to Lakshadweep, Andaman & Nicobar will be targeted as high-end tourism destination.
- Presently tourist facilities are available in Lakshadweep only in Bangaram and few other islands.
- Little Island is one of the largest Island of Andaman & Nicobar with 734.34 sqkm almost the same size as Singapore. Singapore has reserved 10% of its total area for parks and natural resource and it is at 4th position in environment performance index. Whereas Andaman & Nicobar Islands has reserved only 6% of its land area for development and its 90% of land area is under forest cover.
- Published on: September 27, 2016