Beti Bachao Beti Padhao-An Initiative for a Better Tomorrow [ Detailed Analysis (CA/GS) - Education ]
Beti Bachao Beti Padao is a scheme launched by the government of India. This scheme aims to spread awareness and improve the welfare efficiency services for women. This scheme was launched by the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi on 22nd January 2015 at Panipat, Haryana. The scheme was started with a fund of Rs 100 crore. The scheme’s objective is welfare of Indian women.
Reason behind This Initiative
- The main reason behind the launch of this scheme was the drop in the sex ratio of girls compared to boys.
- Referring to the census data the child sex ratio in India was 927 girls to 1000 boys in 2001.
- In 2011, sex ratio dropped further to 918 girls per 1000 boys. India was ranked 41st by UNICEF among 195 countries.
- The scheme’s main motive was to address the issue of declining sex ratio of females in India.
- This scheme was specially launched in Haryana as it has the lowest ratio of females is to male. In 2015 when the scheme was launched the ratio was 775 girls per 1000 boys.
- This scheme has been implemented in hundred districts across the country to improve the status of girls.
- 12 districts (Ambala, Kurukshetra, Rewari, Bhiwani, Mahendergarh, Sonepat, Jhajjar, Rohtak, Kaithal, Panipat, Karnal, and Yamuna Nagar) have been chosen from the Haryana state.
- After the launch, Haryana now celebrates an event known as BETI KI LOHRI on January 14 to respect the females of that state.
The Name- “Beti Bachao Beti Padhao”
- On “INTERNATIONAL DAY OF THE GIRL CHILD”, Prime minster called for the eradication of female feticide and invited the citizens of India on “BETI BACHAO BETI PADHAO” on MyGov.in portal.
- The hashtag #SelfieWithDaughter was promoted on different social Media streams in June 2015, when the sarpanch of the village Bibipur in Haryana took a selfie with his daughter and posted on Facebook on 19 June 2015.
Problems That This Scheme Will Tackle
The initiative is launched to tackle such problems
- A sustained Social mobilization and communication Campaign will be implemented in order to create an equivalent value for the girl child and promote her education.
- Improvement of the issue of CSR/SRB in public discourse would be a sign of good governance.
- Focusing on gender critical districts and cities low on CSR for intensive and integrated action.
- Social change mobilization and training of panchayat raj institutions, urban local bodies, grassroots’ workers in partnership with community, women and youth groups.
- Enabling inter-sectorial and inter-institutional convergence at district, block, and grassroots’ levels.
- This scheme is making strong effort in maintaining the sex ratio by spreading awareness as much as it can, it is making a strong effort for saving a girl child and encouraging their parents to educate their daughters.
- It is focused on gender equality and girl child’s protection and providing them with medical aid.
- Sukanya samriddhi account has been introduced under this scheme, this is a small saving scheme. This account is exclusively for girl child, where their parents can save some amount for their daughter. The scheme provides a good rate of interest, and the withdrawal of that amount can be permitted to the girl child only after she is 18.
- By the right to education act, free education is provided to child till the completion of elementary school.
- There is a powerful saying that “when you educate a man you educate a man but when you educate a women you educate a generation” it is horrible to note that a lot of females are murdered even before they are born they are not allowed to live their life, not allowed to see this world. Many of those who are fortunate to see this world are deprived from their basic rights by their family.
- Many are married as teenagers and are deprived of the best time of their life.
- This problem should become government’s top priority. This scheme somehow has already become a praiseworthy event launched by Indian government. Success of this scheme will be tremendously affect India economic growth.
- As responsible members of society, it is our duty to contribute towards the betterment of girl child.
- Published on: September 22, 2016