IAS Mains 2015 Geography Question Paper 2 [ IAS Updates ]
IAS Mains Paper 2 for Geography held in December 2015. These questions will provide candidates preparing for 2016 a format and idea as to how to prepare and succeed in UPSC Mains examination. Indeed, there is no shortcut to consistency and practice. Good writing skills will lead you a way in IAS Mains geography optional.
Q1. Answer following: 10 x 5 = 50 marks: On the outline map of India provided to you, mark the locations of all the following. Write in not more than 30 words for each entry: 2×5 = 10 Refer Answers at Examrace Geography Maps Series
- Namcha Barwa
- Why does the pharmaceutical industry concentrate largely in the western region of the country? (In about 150 words)
- Explain the pattern of winter rainfall in India. (In about 150 words)
- Discuss the relationship of watershed approach to village level planning (In about 150 words).
- How docs natural vegetation affect the formation of insitu soils? (In about 150 words)
Q2.20 + 15 + 15 marks
- Account for the geographical distribution of groundwater resources of India. How serious is its depletion in recent decades?
- Why is the traditional crafts industry in India on the decline?
- Explain how modernization of Indian agriculture is affected by unfavorable institutional factors with suitable examples.
Q3.20 + 15 + 15 marks
- Distinguish between ‘agricultural productivity’ and ’agricultural efficiency, and bring out the disparity in regional distribution of agricultural efficiency.
- With the help of a map, indicate the principal areas of dryland farming in the country and account for farmers’ suicides mainly in those areas.
- Evaluate the contribution of Communication and Information Technology to the development of economy and society, and examine the relevance of the recently launched ’Digital India program.
Q4.20 + 15 + 15 marks
- Account for the growing frequency and intensity of floods in India, and suggest short- and long-term remedial measures indicating the chronically flood prone areas.
- How does climate change affect process of desertification of India?
- Discuss the scope of replication of White Revolution’ in lndia.
Q5. Answer following: 10×5 = 50marks: On the outline map of India provided to you, mark the locations of all the following. Write in not more than 30 words for each entry: 2×5 = 10 Refer Answers at Examrace Geography Maps Series
- Gorakhnath Peak
- Indrakiladn Peak
- “Age-sex pyramid is representative of the history of a region. ” Explain (In about 150 words)
- “Mono-functional towns are economically vulnerable. ” Discuss. (In about I5O words)
- Explain how change in land use can promote eco-development at different levels in the country. (In about 150 words)
- Discuss the social and spatial ramifications of increasing longevity. (In about 150 words)
Q6: 20 + 15 + 15 marks
- Decentralized planning through the strengthening of the Panchayat system is the focus of planning in India in recent times. Suggest a blueprint for an integrated regional development plan.
- In population planning, the thrust of the Government has been ‘planning the population’ not ‘plan for the population’. Elaborate.
- Is planning for a cluster of villages a viable option, when planning for backward areas of the country? Discuss with suitable examples.
Q7: 20 + 15 + 15 marks
- Reduction in regional disparities has been one of the priority goals of national planning in India. How the proposed new Smart urban centres may contribute to the process?
- How has India’s ‘Look East’ policy taken shape in the past two decades and how it may affect India’s external trade?
- Indian island territories are vulnerable to the sea level rise. Explain.
Q8: 20 + 15 + 15 marks
- Discuss The concept of multi-level planning as practised in India, and explain the implications of 73rd and 74th constitutional amendments in this regards.
- Give a reasoned account of river water disputes related to the River Krishna
- Outline the Ghats. Government of India’s strategies of conservation of the Western Ghats.
- Published/Last Modified on: December 24, 2015