Net Neutrality – What to Know? [ Detailed Analysis (CA/GS) - Science & Technology ]
Net neutrality is the fight between the consumer and the network providers.Net neutrality requires that the entire internet be open for any and all types of traffic. What is Net Neutrality: Net Neutrality across the Globe. The principle, that internet, is open and the content should not be discriminated through blocking, barriers, and charges. Net neutrality is supported by:
- South Africa
- United States
- United Kingdom
“Open internet” is the idea that all the resources on internet and means to operate it should be equal for all individuals, companies and organizations , where policies such as equal treatment of data and open web standards allow those using the Internet to easily communicate and conduct business and other official activities without the interference of third party.
Internet providers should provide a “dumb pipe”, which simply provides a mechanism for transmitting bytes with little or no control.
Net Neutrality in India
- In India telecom companies are governed by TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) TRAI was established on February, 20, 1997 and it is headquartered in New Delhi.
- The main objective of TRAI is to provide fair and transparent environment between the users and telecom providers. TRAI issues directions on various services like tariff , quality of service , DTH(Direct To Home) services and number portability.
- Mid 2015 there were no rules for net neutrality in India. Around 2006, TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) first took the views internet providers of the country.
- Regarding the net neutrality in the country, in DEC 2006, TRAI officially published that the internet is neutral but the situations might change in future.
- In 2014 giants like Airtel and Vodafone started charging differentially for the social apps like Facebook and WhatsApp.
The COAI (cellular operator association of India) launched the campaign against the cellular companies called “Sabka Internet , Sab ka Vikas.” They gave fire to this movement.
On February 2016, TRAI barred the service providers from using differential charging for different services.
- Published on: September 22, 2016