National Authority of Testing – (NAT) - New Body to Conduct JEE Exam from 2017 [ JEE Updates ]
National Authority of Testing – (NAT) : The largest engineering entrance test JEE is now conducted by NAT. The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) has decided to introduction single testing system/authority for admissions to most important technical institutes for example:
- The Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs),
- National Institutes of Technology (NITs),
- Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs)
- Government Funded Technical Institutes (GFTIs)
An expert panel - the Committee of Eminent Persons (CEP), constituted by the IIT council has recommended for this test and many committees has given their approval to NAT and now it will scheduled very soon to Cabinet.
- After it’s approved from Cabinet, it will come in the force from October 2016 for the admission process of 2017 batch.
- The committee has advised to combine both JEE Main and JEE Advanced into a single engineering entrance exam.
- The committee has also suggested another compulsory standardized aptitude test.
- The structure of the aptitude test will be as same as US-based SAT exam. And it will reduce the weight on school board marks so that candidates need to only pass their board exams.
- Exam pattern for both the tests will be declared after conformation.
- When NAT is come in the force it will make admission process for top technical institutes much approachable and classifying for candidates.
At this time, JEE is held in two stages: -
- JEE Mains
- JEE Advanced
Currently, Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) conducts the JEE Mains for admission into the 32 NITs.
And candidates who are qualified in JEE Mains are shortlisted for JEE Advanced which is conducted by the IITs for admission into the 18 IITs.
- Under the MHRD it will be registered as an independent society and after the Union cabinet sanction it, it will become body-cum-testing-system.
NAT Test Process:
- The standardized general aptitude test (just as SAT exam) will be conducted first by NAT and the score of this test will be used to shortlist candidates for engineering programmes. The test is based on analytical aptitude rather than knowledge of subjects.
- After that as per suggestion single entrance test will be conducted for IITs & NITS.
- This online test will be held four times a year.
- Published on: January 18, 2016