Eligibility for NDA
Age between: 16 ½ to 19 yrs as of first day of the month in which course is being started.
Qualification: 12th Class of 10 + 2 System of Education for Army and with Physics and Maths for AF/Navy.
Marital Status: Unmarried
Application to be Received by: As per UPSC notification
Likely SSB Date: Sep to Oct and Jan to Apr
Date Commencement of Training: Jan and Jul
Training Academy: NDA, Khadakwasla, Pune
Duration of Training
- 3 Yrs at NDA and 1 Yrs at IMA (For Army cadets)
- 3 Yrs at NDA and 1 Yrs at Naval Academy (For Naval cadets)
- 3 Yrs at NDA and 1 & ½ Yrs at AFA Hyderabad (For AF cadets)
Indicating Preference for Services in the Application Form
Candidates need to decide their priority for the two Academies namely National Defence Academy and Naval Academy (Executive Branch).
If a candidate chooses for National Defence Academy as his first choice, he must first indicate his preferences for different wings of National Defence Academy namely Army, Navy and Air Force followed by his preferences for Naval Academy.
Alternatively, if a candidate opts for Naval Academy as his first choice, he must first indicate his preference for Naval Academy as his first choice, followed by his preference for different wings of National Defence Academy.
Thus, out of four preferences (Three NDA and one NA) the Naval Academy can be either the first preference or the last preference. It cannot be given as 2nd or 3rd preference. Even if Naval Academy is given as 2nd or 3rd preference by the candidate, it will be considered as the last preference.
It is said that many preferences as one cannot be sure about his merit rank and other candidate's preferences.
A Candidate will only be considered for services which is written in the application form.
No request for addition or alteration in the preferences list already written in the application form will be entertained.
A candidate must be either:
- A citizen of India or
- a subject of Nepal or
- a subject of Bhutan or
- a Tibetan refugee who came to India before the date 1st January in the year 1962 with the ultimate motive of permanently living in India or
- a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Srilanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the ultimate motive of permanently living in India.
Note that-the candidates belonging to the categories 2, 3, 4 and 5 shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.
Certificate of eligibility will not however be essential in case of the candidates who are Gorkha subjects of Nepal.
- Candidates who are pursuing in the 11th class exam are not eligible.
- Candidates who are debarred by the Ministry of Defence from holding any type of commission in the Defence Services shall not be eligible for admission to the examination and if admitted their candidature will liable to be cancelled.
- Those candidates who have failed INSB or PABT before are not eligible for Air Force.
- Candidates who have resigned or withdrawn on disciplinary reasons from any of the training academics of Armed Forces is not eligible.