Praxis II Biology & General Science Exam by ETS

Download PDF of This Page (Size: 116K)

The knowledge and the capability of future high school teacher to teach biology and general sciences are evaluated in the Biology and General Science exam. The exam consists of 120 multiple choice questions, with 60% of the questions directed on biology and the remaining 40% focusing on general science topics. The questions are divided into eight categories as follows:

  • 20 questions on Diversity of Life, Plant, and Animals
  • 18 questions on Molecular and Cellular Biology
  • 18 questions on Evolution and Classical Genetics
  • 16 questions on Ecology
  • 12 questions on History/Philosophy/Methodology of Science; Technology
  • 12 questions on Chemistry
  • 12 questions on Physics
  • 12 questions on Earth and Space Science

The group of variety of Life, Plants, and Animals encompasses the scientific classifications, reproduction, origin, anatomy and physiology of plants, the main organ systems such as circulatory and digestive in animals, and the behavior of animals.

The structure and workings of cells and chemicals as the basis of life forms includes the area of Molecular and Cellular Biology. This category also questioned the molecular components of genetics and the human genome map.

For the group of Evolution and Classical Genetics, some of the questions concerning evolution will comprise proof of evolution and extinction of species, and the questions pertaining to heredity will include topics such as inheritance and genetic disorders.

Questions on populations, such as growth and opposition; question on communities, such as the difference of species and niches; and questions about ecosystems will be included in the group of Ecology.

Scientific perspectives and investigation, and the power of technology and science on nature and society will cover the questions of History, Philosophy, and Methodology of Science; Science, Technology, and Society.

The features of matter, with structure and properties; chemical reactions and states of balance; safety rules and methods for testing in laboratories; and concerns associated with chemistry and the environment will cover the Chemistry questions.

Mechanics, energy, electricity and magnetism, optics, atomic and nuclear physics, and the concerns of the environment related to physics will be the focus questions in Physics.

Questioning of astronomy, oceanography, meteorology, geology, and concerns related to the environment will be included in Earth and Space Science.

The questions will also evaluate the examinee's skill of recognizing and using principles of science to describe scientific occurrences, along with covering these topics.