Praxis II Early Childhood Education Exam by ETS
The exam is aimed to design for those individuals who have completed their undergraduate degree in Early Childhood education and wants to teach preschool through primary grades. The exam consists of 120 multiple choice questions and 2 hours will be provided to complete it. The exam will test your knowledge of different factors that can impact a child's ability to learn. It is based on a curriculum that focuses on the child's language, physical, social and cognitive development. Majority of the questions will refer to children that are of age i.e.3 to 8 with a few questions pertaining to children at earlier and later stages of development. There will be around 37 questions pertaining to the growth, development and learning of young children, 12 questions pertaining to factors that impact an individual child's growth and development, 14 questions pertaining to the development and application of various curriculums, 35 questions pertaining to planning and implementation of a curriculum, 15 questions pertaining to the evaluation of student progress and 7 questions pertaining to professionalism and legal responsibilities of a teacher.
- Cognitive Development: This section of the exam will test your knowledge of the concepts of the physical world, development of manipulative skills, symbol recognition as well as logical reasoning skills.
- Language Development: This section of the exam will test your knowledge of listening skills, comprehension, speech, oral language development, speaking skills and writing and spelling skills development in young children.
- Physical Development: This section will test your knowledge of atypical and typical growth, fine and gross motor skills; and health and safety of young children.
- Personal and Social Development: This section your knowledge of social behavior, gender roles, stereotypes, learning style and self concept of young children will be covered.
- Recognition of Appropriate and Inappropriate Application of Developmental and Curriculum Theory: This section of the exam will test your knowledge of developmental and learning theory in early childhood educational practices. And the focus is also on the knowledge of different early childhood curriculum models like play based curriculum, developmentally appropriate curriculum, Montessori, Head Start, Weikert, Bank Street, Emergent Literacy etc.
- Planning and Implementing Curriculum: This section of the exam will test on the selection, planning and implementation of proper curriculum and instructional methods for young children. It will also cover implementation of curriculums based on social, mathematical, scientific, language and physical or motor skill approaches. The organization and management of the learning environment and management of personal interactions in the classroom will also be covered.
- Evaluating and Reporting Student Progress and the Effectiveness of Instruction: This section of the exam will examine your ability and understanding to select and use formal and informal assessment tools for students, maintain proper records and communicate with parents.
- Understanding Professional and Legal Responsibilities: This section of the exam will test your knowledge of being cognizant of instructor responsibilities and legal regulations pertaining to early childhood education. The knowledge of candidates of effective communication with the other educational staff members will also be focused in this section.