References & Syllabus for Chemistry Olympiad
Syllabus for Chemistry Olympiad
The syllabus of National Standard Examination in Chemistry (NSEC) is almost similar to the syllabus of senior secondary level (Class XI and Class XII) of CBSE Chemistry. This is just a rough idea of the course curriculum. No detailed syllabus given for NSEC.
The syllabus for Indian National Biology Olympiad (INChO) is nearly similar to NSEC but the difficulty level of the question paper is comparatively higher. Questions and problems in National Olympiads are usually non-conventional and of high difficulty level, comparable to International Olympiads.
The books which are to be referred for studying theory in chemistry are:
Books for Physical Chemistry
- A book by Maron & Prutton, Principles of Physical Chemistry, 4th Edition, published by Oxford and IBH Pub. Co. Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi/Calcutta.
- Atkins PW's book Physical Chemistry, 5th Edition, published by Oxford University Press.
Books for Organic Chemistry
- Morrison & Boyd's Organic Chemistry, 6th Edition, published by Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi.
- Carey's Organic Chemistry, 3rd Edition, Publishers: The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- A book by Atkins & Carey, Organic Chemistry-a brief course, 2nd Edition published by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Books for Inorganic Chemistry
- Concise Inorganic Chemistry by Lee, 5th Edition, Publishers: ELBS with Chapman & Hall.
- Basic Inorganic Chemistry written by Cotton, Wilkinson & Gaus (3rd Edition), published by John Wiley & Sons.
Books for Analytical Chemistry
- Christian's Analytical Chemistry, 5th Edition, published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry authored by Skoog & West (2nd Edition) published by Holt International Edition.
- Skoog's Principles of Instrumental Analysis, 3rd Edition, Publishers: Holt-Saunders International Edition.
Books for Biochemistry
- Principles of Biochemistry penned by Lehninger, Published by CBS publishers and distributors Pvt. Ltd. Delhi (chapters on amino acids, proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids)
- Biochemistry an Introduction by Mckee & Mckee, 2nd Edition, published by WCB/McGraw-Hill.
Books for General Chemistry
- Mahan's University Chemistry, 3rd Edition, Publishers: Narosa Publishing House.
- Ebbing's General Chemistry, 3rd Edition published by Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston.
- Schaum series books on problems in various disciplines of chemistry.
The books to be referred for studying practical tests of chemistry are:
Books for Practical Chemistry
- A book by Jeffrey, Bassett, Mendham & Denney, Vogel-Textbook of Quantitative Chemical Analysis, 5th Edition, published by ELBS with Longman.
- Authored by Arthur I. Vogel, Elementary Practical Organic Chemistry (Part 1, 2 and 3), and published by CBS Publishers and Distributors, Delhi.
- Techniques and Experiments for Organic Chemistry written by Addison Ault, 6th Edition, Publishers: University Science Books, Sausalito, California.
- Day & Underwood's Quantitative Analysis, 5th Edition, published by Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi.
- CBSE practical books