Preparing for Engish Vocabulary in SSC Exam 2017
In SSC exam, you have to face English grammar in the following quoted topics-
- Sentence correction
- Sentence enhancement.
- Active passive.
- direct indirect speech.
Dealing with Grammar
Active Passive (voice) and Direct-Indirect (speech)
- Follow set of simple rules, almost like maths formulas.
- Generally Tier I has 10 questions on Voice + speech.
- Tier-II consists of almost 40 − 45 questions on these two topics.
- Understand the grammar rules and practice maximum questions.
- In your diary note down any special or odd rules with example sentences.
Sentence Correction + enhancement
To master sentence correction, you've to get expertise in two subtopics:
You must have the knowledge of grammar rules. Sentence correction is based on certain specific mistakes only.
For example: The topic “verb” has lot of theory and classifications.
Rules for sentence correction-
- Either, Neither, none, each and every is singular.
- Wrong “Each of the soldiers are disciplined” while Right is- “Each of the soldiers is disciplined”
- Go through your grammar book and write the rules with example statements in your note book.
- Revise these rules with example sentences
- Grammar rules are like maths i.e.. Universally applicable.
- Phrasal verbs-you need to remember the correct usage-case to case basis.
- Both statements are wrong because phrasal verbs are incorrectly used.
- Many a times, candidates know the grammar rules nicely, but fail to detect the error in sentence because they are prepared with phrasal verbs.
- Standard English is full of phrasal verbs-know atleast common 200 of them.
- Revise the list often and write down all the confusing words in your diary.
- Solve as many practice questions as you can to enhance understanding.