Ambassadorial Scholarships of the Rotary Foundation
- The Ambassadorial Scholarships is the Rotary Foundation's flagship scholarship, as well as it is the first and most reputed of its kind. Coming into force in 1947, the year of Indian independence, the Ambassadorial Scholarship has helped almost 40, 000 men and women from over a 100 nations by providing them opportunities and financial aid to study outside their home country.
- The Ambassadorial Scholarships of the Rotary Foundation is one of the biggest international scholarship programs to be funded by a private organization. In the academic year 2005 − 2006, about 800 scholarships for a total of US $500 million were awarded to students from nearly around 70 countries.
- The goal of Ambassadorial Scholarships is to enhance the mutual understanding and friendly relations among different countries of the globe at an international level. The scholarships, which are of various different types, provide financial help to students at the graduate as well as undergraduate level. Often, scholarships are also awarded to professionals, who are indulged in studies of various vocations.
- Those scholars, who are fortunate enough to receive the Ambassadorial Scholarship and an opportunity to visit a foreign land, are goodwill ambassadors of their country. They show social, religious, cultural and educational aspects of their homeland through the Rotary Clubs of the host country.
History and Background
The Rotary Foundation was established in the year 1917 by Arch C Klumph, who was the sixth president of the Rotary International. What began as an endowment fund with a seed capital of US $26.50, has today grown into a mammoth organization with capital reserves worth US $117.9 million dollars.
The objective of the Rotary Foundation is to ‘do good in the world’ by enhancing the quality of life, health care, education, food and other basic needs for human survival.
Types of Scholarships
The Ambassadorial Scholarships of the Rotary Foundation are of the following types:
Academic Year Ambassadorial Scholarship
The academic year Ambassadorial Scholarship includes transportation, boarding, lodging and expenses for educational supplies is granted for one academic year i.e.. 9 months. The Rotary Foundation trustees assign the Institution of Study and those who get the scholarship would not be eligible to earn Degree or Diploma from other institutes during the study period.
Multi Year Ambassadorial Scholarship
The multi year Ambassadorial Scholarship includes transportation, boarding, lodging and expenses for educational supplies is granted for either 2 or 3 years. The Rotary Foundation trustees assign the Institution of Study. The grant which amounts to $11, 000 for 1 year (US $22, 000 for 2 years, US 33, 000 for 3 years) may be used for any field of study provided the candidate is enrolled in a particular university.
Cultural Ambassadorial Scholarship
The Cultural Ambassadorial Scholarship includes transportation, boarding, lodging and tuition fee is granted for either 3 months or 6 months for intensive language training and cultural study. The Rotary Foundation trustees assign the Institution of Study. While 3 months scholarship is deemed suitable for studying foreign language, 6 months scholarships can be given for studying a language which is challenging to the students.
- Candidates should have completed a minimum of two years of academics at the college or university level or should have a secondary school education
- Should have been employed in vocation, which is universally recognized for at least 2 years at the time of commencement of the scholarship.
- Candidates should be citizens of a country where there is a Rotary Club.
- One Rotary Center, 1560 Sherman Ave. Evanston, IL 60201, USA
- Telephone: 847 − 866 − 3000
- Fax: 847 − 328 − 8554 or 847 − 328 − 8281
- Link: www.rotary.org