Competitive Exams: Indian Geography Managanese
Occurs mainly in the Dharwar system of rocks.
Pyrolusite is the main ore.
India is the third largest producer after Russia and Ghana.
Distribution of ore (statewise): Karnataka, Orissa, MP/Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Goa, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Jharkhand.
Statewise production: Orissa, Karnataka, MP/Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Goa and Bihar/Jharkhand.
- Orissa: Keonjhar, Sundargarh, Koraput, Kalahandi and Bolangir.
- Karnataka: Bellary, Uttar Kannad, Shimoga, Tumkur, and Belgaum
- MP: Balaghat, Chhindwara, Jabalpur and Jhabua. The belt is the continuation of the Nagpur Bhandara belt.
- Maharashtra: Nagpur Bhandara Belt and Ratnagiri.
- Andhra Pradesh: Associated with Khondalite rocks. Srikakulam and Vishakhapatnam.
- Jharkhand: Birmitrapur near Chaibasa, Singhbhum, Hazaribagh, Dhanbad, Gaya and Munger.
- Gujarat: Vadodra, Panchmahal, Banaskantha and Sabarkantha.
- Rajasthan: Banswara and Udaipur.
- W Bengal: Medinapur.