Competitive Exams: Asia
Latitudinal Extent 80° N to 10° S
Longitudinal Extent 160° W to 33° E
Largest country area wise Russia.
Largest country population China.
Largest Countries Area wise Russia, China, India, Kazakhstan, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, Iran, Mongolia, Pakistan, Turkey, Myanmar, Afghanistan.
Russia and Turkey lies both in Asia and Europe.
Equator passes through Sumatra, Borneo, Celebes Sulawesi in Indonesia.
Tropic of Cancer passes through S. Arabia, United Arab Emirates UAE, Oman, India, Bangladesh, Myanmar, China and Taiwan.
Arrangement of sea North to South Sea of Okhotsk, Sea of Japan, Yellow Sea, East China Sea, South China Sea.
- Rub Al Khali and An Nafud deserts Saudi Arabia; Akhdar mountains Oman; Kuwait, Qatar and UAE are more or less plain countries and Qatar is a peninsula; Dead Sea Jordan; Mesopotamia Iraq; Syrian desert Iraq, Syria and Jordan
- Pontus Mountains N. Turkey; Taurus Mountains S. Turkey; Anatolia Plateau Inter montane plateau in Turkey; Elburz mountains Caspian coast of Iran, highest peak mt. Damanad; Zagros montains S. Iran; Dasht e Kavir desert N. Iran; Dasht e LutE. Iran
- Rivers Kizil Turkey, Euphrates and Tigris Iraq, Baghdad is on Tigris
- Gobi desert lies south of plateau of Mongolia in Mongolia and China.
- Altai mts. Is near W. Mongolia Chinese border. Takla Makan desert and Tarim Basin NW China; Kunlun Shan Central West Cnina; Dzungarian Basin China, trapped between Mongolia and Kazakhstan; Qaidam Basin Central China. The Great Wall of China stretches from midnorth to northeast China south of Inner Mongolia Chinese province lying south of Mongolia. Hwang Ho river crosses the wall twice.
- Loess plateau of China lies in northern China and is drained by R. Hwang Ho which while passing through it acquires enough sediments that the river itself becomes muddy and is therefore known as yellow river. Siltation of river bed because of these enormous sediments leads to frequent floods creating havoc in the region. Therefore the river is also known as'Sorrow of China. It drains into the Gulf of Po Hai.
- SzechwanSichuan basin lies in southcentral China and is drained by the Yangtze kiang Chiang Jiang river. Industrial centers of Chengdu and Chongquing lie in the basin. Shanghai is situated near the mouth of Yangtze Kiang river. Yunnan Plateau lies in S. E. China and is drained by Si Kiang Xi Jiang river. Hong Kong is situated close to the mouth of this river. Macau port lies west of Hong kong. Hainan island is situated close to the Gulf of Tongking. Manchurian plains lie in extreme N. E. China. Great Khingan Mts. Lie west of Manchurian plains. Xinjiang province lies in the northwest and is inhabited by muslim tribals Uighurs. Islands of Japan north to
- south Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku, Kyushu, and Ryuku. Asahi Dake is the highest peak ofHokkaiduo. Important cities in Hokkaido are Sapporo, Muroran and Hakodate. Tsugaru strait separates Honshu from Hokkaido. Highest peak of Japan is Mt. Fujiyama which lies in Honshu. Important urban centers in Honshu are Tokyo, Kawasaki, Yokohama, Shizuoka, Hamamatsu, Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe and Hiroshima lying on the southern coast from east to west. Akita and Nigata lie on the northern coast.
- Important urban centers in Kyushu are Kitakyushu, Fukuoka and Nagasaki. American base of Okinawa is part of Ryuku group of Islands.
South East Asia
- Colonies in south east Asia Myanmar British Malaysia British Indonesia Dutch Laos French Cambodia French Vietnam French Philippines Spanish and then American
- Thailand was never a colony. Arakan Yoma and Pegu Yoma are parallel ranges in NS dierection in Myanmar and R. Irrawady flows between the two. R. Chidwin is a right bank tributary of Irrawady river and R. Salween flows through E. Myanmar.
- Dawna and Bilauktaung ranges are in southern protruding land of Myanmar. Isthumus of Kra is the portion of Thailand that connects Malaysia to the mainland Asia. R. Mekong flows through China, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and then makes delta in Vietnam.
- Korat plateau is in Thailand and Laos.
- Annam mts. Lie along the LaosVietnam border. L. Toba and Barisan mts. Are in Sumatra.
- Krakatau volcanic Island lies in Sunda Strait between Sumatra and Java
- Singapore is a small island lying south of peninsular Malaysia.
- Brunei is trapped by Malaysia on all sides on the Borneo Island. Rest of Bornoe is part of Indonesia.
- Highest peak of Borneo: Mt. Kinabalu is also the highest peak of Borneo Jakarta and Bandung lies in Java island of Indonesia. Southern Islands of Indonesia from west to east Sumatra, Java, Bali, Lombok, Sumbawa and Flores.
- Western half of the New Guinea Island is called Irian Jaya and lies in Indonesia. Eastern half is known as Papua New Guinea which lies outside Asia.
- Seas of S. E. Asia: Andaman Sea East of andaman and Nicobar Is. Great channel seperates Andaman Nicobar Island and Sumatra. South China Sea Between Vietnam and Philippines. Sulu Sea Between Philippines and Borneo. Celebes Sea North of Celebes or Sulwesi Is.
- Molucco Sea Between Celebes and Moluccas Islands lies east of Celebes, Ceram Sea South of Molucca Is. And north of Coram Is. Banda Sea North of East Timor and south of Molucca and Ceram Sea.
- Arafura Sea South of Irian Jaya and north of Australia. Flores Sea South of Celebes or Sulawesi Is.
- Java Sea North of Java Is. Lakes BaikalRussia, BalkhashKazakhstan and Uzbekistan, Aral sea Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, Van Turkey, Buhayrata-Asad Saudi Arabia, LakeUrmia Iran, Lop Nur Chinese nuclear explosion site, Qinghai China, Poyang China, DongtinsChina, Tonle SapCambodia
- Caspian Sea World's largest Lake borders Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Iran, Azerbaijan and Russia clockwise manner.