ISBN-International Standard Book Number & ISSN-International Standard Serial Number YouTube Lecture Handouts
Doorsteptutor material for competitive exams is prepared by world's top subject experts: get questions, notes, tests, video lectures and more- for all subjects of your exam.
Get video tutorial on: Examrace YouTube Channel
- Product identifier used by publishers, booksellers, libraries, internet retailers and other supply chain participants for ordering, listing, sales records and stock control purposes.
- 1st time – Gorden Foster in 1966 – Standard Book Number (SBN)
- 1967 – David Whitaker – Father of ISBN – recognition of SBN in UK
- 1970 – 10 digit by ISO 2108 (International Organization for Standardization)
- ISBN Agency in USA – RR Bowker
- Till Dec 2006 - 10 digit
- Since 1 Jan 2007 – 13 digit
- It can be for sale or gratis
- Paperback, pdf, epub all will have separate ISBN
- Difficulty in Registration
- Lost documents
- Delayed responses
- Status updates
Specific maths formula & check digit to validate the number
- Prefix element – currently this can only be either 978 or 979. It is always 3 digits in length (European Article Number or International Article Number)
- Registration group element – this identifies the particular country, geographical region, or language area participating in the ISBN system. This element may be between 1 and 5 digits in length
- Registrant element - this identifies the particular publisher or imprint.
- Publication element – this identifies the particular edition and format of a specific title.
- Check digit – this is always the final single digit that mathematically validates the rest of the number. It is calculated using a Modulus 10 system with alternate weights of 1 and 3.
- For Example, the ISBN-13 check digit of -? is calculated as follows:
Thus, the check digit is 7, and the complete sequence is
- Nbt. india
- Raja Rammohun Roy National Agency for ISBN
ISBN Web Portal Benefits
- Ease of registration
- Greater efficiency
- Enhanced accessibility
- Wider transparency
- Trust and credibility
- Online Information Exchange
- It is a metadata standard
- XML format for sharing bibliographic data pertaining to both traditional books and eBooks. It is the oldest of the three ONIX standards, and is widely implemented in the book trade in North America, Europe and increasingly in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Identify serials with same titles
- Drafted in 1971 and published in 1975
- ISO subcommittee TC/SC 9 – maintain standards
- p-ISSN: Print Media
- e-ISSN: electronic media
- l-ISSN: Linking media
- 4 - 4 digits are separated by hypen
- India – NISCAIR (National Science Library) provides ISSN
ISMN - International Standard Music Number
- International Standard Music Number (ISMN) covers for musical scores.