Demographics of India, Population of India and Birth Rates in India

Doorsteptutor material for UGC is prepared by world's top subject experts: Get detailed illustrated notes covering entire syllabus: point-by-point for high retention.

Download PDF of This Page (Size: 244K)

Population of India

Population of India

Population of India, 1961-2003

Population of India, 1961-2003
Population of India, 1961-2003

Population:

1,220,800,359 (2013 est.) (2nd)

Growth Rate:

1.41% (2009 est.) (93rd)

Birth Rate:

22.22 births/1,000 population (2009 est.)

Death Rate:

1.4 deaths/1,000 population (2009 est.)

Life Expectancy:

69.89 years (2009 est.)

-Male:

67.46 years (2009 est.)

-Female:

72.61 years (2009 est.)

Fertility Rate:

2.5 Children born/woman (SRS 2010) (1) (82nd)

Infant mortality Rate

30.15 deaths/1,000 live births (2009 est.)

Age Structure

0-14 years:

31.1% (Male 190.075.426/female 172,799,553) (2009 est.)

15-64 years:

63.6% (Male 381,446,079/female 359,802,209) (2009 est.)

65-over:

5.3% (Male 29,364,920/female 32,591,030) (2009 est.)

Sex Ratio

At birth:

1.12 male(s)/female (2009 est.)

Under 15:

1.10 male(s)/female (2009 est.)

15-64 years:

1.06 male(s)/female (2009 est.)

65-over:

0.90 male(s)/female (2009 est.)

The demographics of India are inclusive of the second most populous country in the world, with over 1.21 billion people (2011 census), more than a sixth of the world’s population. Already containing 17.5% of the world’s population, India is projected to be the world’s most populous country by 2025, surpassing China, its population reaching 1.6 billion by 2050. Its population growth rate is 1.41%, ranking 102nd in the world in 2010.

Birth Rates in India

Birth Rates in India

  • India has more than 50% of its population below the age of 25 and more than 65% below the age of 35. It is expected that, in 2020, the average age of an Indian will be 29 years, compared to 37 for China and 48 for Japan; and, by 2030, India’s dependency ratio should be just over 0.4.

  • India has more than two thousand ethnic groups, and every major religion is represented, as are four major families of languages (Indo-European, Dravidian, Austroasiatic and Tibeto-Burman languages) as well as two language isolates (the Nihali language spoken in parts of Maharashtra and the Burushaski language spoken in parts of Jammu and Kashmir).

Infant Mortality Rate in India, 1973-2009

Graph of India

Graph of India

Further complexity is lent by the great variation that occurs across this population on social parameters such as income and education. Only the continent of Africa exceeds the linguistic, genetic and cultural diversity of the nation of India.

Salient Features

India occupies 2.4% of the world’s land area and supports over 17.5% of the world’s population. Per the 2001 census, 72.2% of the population lives in about 638,000 villages and the remaining 27.8% lives in more than 5,100 towns and over 380 urban agglomerations. India’s population exceeds that of the entire continent of Africa by 200 million people.

Developed by: