Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, Pune
Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics (GIPE) was conceptualized by Shri Rao Bahadur Kale on 6th June in 1930. A premier institution, Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics can brag of several students as well as faculty members who have left an indelible impression in both national as well as international arena.
Initially conceived as a research center, it was granted the status of a institution for higher studies in Economics. GIPE was affiliated to the University of Bombay in the beginning, but with the establishment of the University of Pune in 1949, it became a constituent member of Pune University.
UGC declared GIPE to be a Center for Advanced Studies in Agricultural Economics in 1962 considering contributions of GIPE in the field of Agricultural Economics. In 1964, GIPE was declared to be a center for Advanced Studies in Economics. Besides this GIPE also houses the Population Research center. Considering the contributions of GIPE in the field of Economics the central Government granted GIPE the status of being a “Deemed University” in 1993.
The Reserve Bank of India, followed by the Ford Foundation and the Planning commission has Instituted chairs in the GIPE in the years 1976, 1989 and 1995 respectively.
As it is a center of Advanced studies in Economics, academic programs include MA in Economics and PhD.
- Duration: 2 years (four semesters)
- Subjects: The number of compulsory subjects are six while the number of optional subjects are twelve.
- Selection: Selection of students is done on the basis of an entrance examination on subjects like analytical ability, knowledge in basics of economics, knowledge of statistics and mathematics.
- Eligibility: Any student who wishes to appear in the examination must have a minimum of 50% marks in his graduation (45% for SC/ST),
- PhD is offered in Economics, Population studies and Sociology.
- Eligibility: Any student who wishes to apply for the PhD course needs to have 55% marks in the Master's degree.
The institute also provides a Certificate Course in Computers for Economic Analysis, for students of M. A and PhD.
The Application form and information brochure can be gathered from the office of GIPE on payment of Rs. 500.
Centers of Study
The two centers of study are:
The Dhananjayarao Gadgil library was founded in 1905 as a part of the “Servants of India Society” In GIPE, the library began to cater to the needs of this institute. It has collection of rare books on social science and Economics, and is the largest of its kind within Pune.
Other Facilities available in the college:
Hostel facilities are available to male and female candidates.
It also has a film club for students.
A journal, Artha Vijnana is published every three months.
Contact details of Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics
- B M C College Road, Deccan Gymkhana, Pune-411 004, Maharashtra
- Phone No. + 91 − 20 − 25650287/25679940/25654288/25661367
- Fax: + 91 − 20 − 25652579
- Email: email@example.com