International Institute for Population Science, Mumbai
International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS), Mumbai was established in 1956, jointly by Sir Dorabji Tata Trust, United Nations and the Government of India with an aim to get a grasp over population science to strengthen reproductive health and conduct further research in the area.
The institute is an autonomous body under the administrative supervision of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. It was declared as a Deemed University on August 15, 1985.
- Dr. P N Mari Bhatt Director and Senior Professor
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Phone No. 91 − 22 − 2556 2062, 91 − 22 − 2556 3254/⅚
- Fax: 91 − 22 − 2556 3257
The various courses offered by International Institute of Population Sciences are as follows:
Diploma in Population Studies (DPS)
Diploma in Health Promotion Education (DHPE)
Master of Population Studies (MPS)
Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Population Studies
Master of Population Studies (MPS) Correspondence Course
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Population Studies Other short term courses are also available.
Diploma in Population Studies (DPS): This course provides a relationship between population science and socio economic factors with emphasis on demography and statistics.
- Eligibility: Graduates from a recognized University in Social Science subjects, namely, Economics, Psychology, Anthropology, Social Work, Mathematics, Sociology, Geography, Statistics, Health and allied sciences.
- Undergraduates having experience in the areas of Community Research, Census operations, Socio-economic surveys, Health, Planning, Management, Human Resource Development are also eligible for admission.
Number of seats: 30
- Master of Population Studies (MPS): This course focuses on the fundamentals of population science and its relationship with social factors.
- Eligibility: Masters Degree in Anthropology, Social Work, Population Studies, Geography, Economics, Sociology, Psychology Mathematics or Statistics from a recognized University.
- Selection Procedure: IIPS selects students through a written and test followed by a personal interview. The mean score of qualifying examination, admission test and personal interview provides the basis of selection on merit.
- Number of Seats: 30
- Duration: 1 year
M. Phil. Courses
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Population Studies: This course is based on advanced research in population science and is open to top 5 students who have successfully completed the MPS course. Advertisements are published in the leading dailies and the institutes'website in the month of March or April.
- Duration: 1 year
- PhD in Population Studies: This program will instill the professional competence in population science upon an individual thereby chiseling their research skills.
- Eligibility: Master's or MPhil degree in Population Studies from a recognized university with minimum 55% of marks or equivalent grade (B + ) or candidates who have passed National Educational Testing (NET) in Population Studies conducted by the University Grants Commission
- Selection: Selection of candidates for the course will be made on the ground of candidates academic records, presentation of research proposal and personal interview. Short-listed candidates will be called for the presentation and interview. Reservation for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes candidates will be taken into consideration according to UGC rules.
- Diploma in Health Promotion Education (DHPE): The course is conducted by Family Welfare Training and Research Center (FWTRC), Mumbai, affiliated to IIPS.
- The Director
- FWTRC, 332 S. V. P. Road
- Phone No. 022 − 23881724/23893195/2510557
Short Term Courses
The various short term courses offered by the institute are as follows:
Population & Development Linkages & Challenges (3 Weeks)
Reproductive Health & Development (2 Weeks)
Demographic Techniques & Application of Demographic Software Packages (3 Weeks)
Application of Qualitative Methods of Data Collection in Population Research (2 Weeks)
Large Sample Surveys in Demographic & Health Research (2 Weeks)
- Seats: 25
- Admission: Based on first come first serve basis, but minimum of 10 candidates is required to commence the course.
- Eligibility: Personnel from Governmental and non governmental agencies, people from marketing research, universities, corporate sectors, etc.
The institute provides research facilities in the following areas:
Data and Measurement
Health, Mortality and Morbidity
Health and Infrastructure
Migration and Urbanization
Population, Development and Environment
Hostel, Guest House
Centers for Meeting and Events
Staff Welfare Committee
- Govandi Station Road, Deonar Mumbai-400 088, INDIA.
- Phone No. 91 + 22 + 2556 3254, 55, 56.
- Fax: 91 + 22 + 2556 3257