Medical Colleges in Tamil Nadu
A common entrance test is conducted in the state of Tamil Nadu for admission to any professional course which is knoown as Tamil Nadu Professional Courses Entrance Examination (TNPCEE), conducted by Anna University, Chennai for admission to MBBS, BDS, BPharm, BPT/BOT, BSc (Nursing) courses. This entrance test is vital for all Free seats as well as Payment Seats in Government, Government Aided and private medical colleges. However Govt of India Nominees, Diploma Holders for BPharm course, NRIs candidates are exempted from this entrance test.
All colleges and universities follow the same entrance pattern to their institutes. However Annamalai university, Annamalainagar and Christian medical College, Vellore, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai (Deemed University) have framed separate entrance test/admission system.
Categories of Seats: All seats in Government Colleges and 50% seats in private colleges are free seats. On the other hand, 50% seats including 155 NRIs in private medical colleges are payment seats.
Admission is open to Indian citizens and whose parents have permanent residence in the State. Few exceptions to this eligibility norm are candidates who have studied from IX Std to qualifying exam in the State, Children of defence personnel of Tamil Nadu origin who have passed X/XII exam from the State and the children of employees of State Govt/Public Sector Undertakings.
Allocation of Seats: SC 18%, ST 1%, BC 30%, Most Backward and denotified communities 20%, General 31%.
Reservations MBBS/BDS All India entrance 15% MBBS Grand children/children of Freedom Fighters 3 seats Development of Tamil Language 6 Defence Quota 6 (BDS 1) Children of Police Personnel (who died in Heroic Action) 3, Eminent sportsmen 3, Widows 10, Deserted women 1, Children born on intercaste marriage in Andaman and Nicobar Islands (MBBS/BPharm) 2, Anglo-Indian candidates (BSc Nursing) 1, Children of Medical Deptt Staff (who lost their lives on account of Infection, Radiation and Chemical reaction in hospitals) 4, Recipients of Anna Awards 2, Sri Lanka Tamils among Sri Lankan refuge students 10, Government of India nominees (BPharm) 3, and Government of Pondicherry nominees (BPharm 1).
- Chengalpattu Medical College, Chengalpattu
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Coimbatore Medical College, Coimbatore
- Chennai Medical College, Chennai
- Madurai Medical College, Madurai
- Government Kilpauk Medical College, Chennai
- Stanley Medical College, Chennai
- Thanjavur Medical College, Thanjavur
- Tirunelveli Medical College, Tirunelveli
- Rajah Muthiah Medical College, Annamalainagar
- PSG Institute of Medical College, Coimbatore
- MK Medical College, Salem
- Shri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institue Porur, Chennai
- Saveetha Dental College, Chennai
- JKK Nataraj Dental College, Komarapalayam
- Raja Muthiah Dental College, Annamalainagar
- Ragas Dental College, Chennai
- Madras Dental College, Chennai